Thursday, October 20, 2011

The New Yaks On The Block


I thought I share a few more photos from the place where we bought the new yaks for our herd. In my previous post about our visit, you'll see a photo of the big royal yak bull. Here's another shot of him in the background running with the black yak bull. The black bull is also six years old and quite large, although Mr. Royal has him beat size-wise.


The following photo isn't the greatest, but it gives some perspective so you can see how big this bull is! 


During our visit to the yak pen, yours truly was inches away from getting a yak horn in the kidney. One of the yak cows didn't like it when I made a move to get to a safer viewing spot and decided to give me the scare of my life. I knew there was a ruckus going on behind me but it was my husband who reported how close she actually came to me! I'm happy to report that I scaled the fence in record time. Yessiree, yaks can put on the afterburner when they decide to, which sure helps out during calving time with coyote control.

In the end, we bought four young bulls (none of which are shown above) and two heifers. Why so many bulls? Well, as they are young and take longer to mature, we didn't want to only buy only one and run the risk of not having a sound bull when breeding time rolls around.

Here are some photos of the new arrivals:





1 comment:

  1. They look like they need combing out before winter. I happen to know a volunteer. LOL

    ReplyDelete